How to address mail to Australia
Try our shipping calculator
If you’re sending a parcel to Australia, find out how to address mail to Australia with our simple to follow guide and find the cheapest courier service from the US to Australia using our shipping calculator.
Get a shipping quote to Australia
How to write an Australian address
When you send packages to Australia from the US, you can avoid delays and the risk of your parcel getting lost by ensuring it is addressed correctly.
To demonstrate how to write an Australian address, we’ve provided an example of a US address next to an Australian address, so you compare. You’ll notice that the Australia address format is the same as the US address format, with the city, state and Australia postal code appearing on the same line. This keeps things simple when it comes to correctly addressing mail to Australia from the USA.
Australia address format example
|US address example||Australia address format|
813 Howard Street
98 Shirley Street
Why use Parcel Monkey?
Compare, book and send parcels using discounted parcel delivery services. Save time & money with Parcel Monkey.
- We’ll help you to find the right courier service
- We’ll help you save time & money
- We compare prices for shipping to over 240 destinations
- We compare prices for pickup & drop-off services
- We've got over 4,300 independent reviews
Try our shipping calculator:
How to write an Australian address from USA
On the line after the recipient’s name, you need to write the street address, in our example, this is 98 Shirley Street. If the recipient lived in an apartment you would put the apartment number, followed by a slash before the street number. E.g. 17/98 Shirley Street.
On the line after the street address, you’ll need to write the city, state and Australia postal code. This should all appear on the same line, as shown in the Australia address format example above.
Like a US address, you need to include an abbreviation for the state or territory where the town or city is located. Our example shows QLD, which is the abbreviation for Queensland.
Australian state abbreviations
|State or territory||Abbreviation|
|New South Wales||NSW|
|Australian Capital Territory||ACT|
On the last line, write the country name. This is important when addressing mail to Australia from overseas.
Australia PO Box address format
The Australia address format for sending to a PO Box is similar to a standard Australia address, but the PO Box number must be included, as per the example below:
PO Box 105
North Sydney NSW 2060
How to write an Australian PO BOX address
- When writing an Australia address for a PO Box, the PO Box number needs to be clearly printed under the addressee and company name (if applicable).
- A street address isn’t necessary with a PO Box.
- Include the city, state and Australia postal code as before.
When sending a parcel to a PO Box in Australia, please note that many carriers have PO Box restrictions, so please check before trying to send a parcel or letter to a PO Box in Australia.
Quick tips: How to address mail to Australia
- Include the correct state abbreviation and Australia postal code
- Write the town, state and Australia postal code on the same line
- No commas or full stops
- Left align the text
- Include your return address
- Use a font or handwriting that is easy to read and clear
- Use a pen or ink that is clear to see against the colour of your envelope or parcel
- Use our shipping calculator to calculate the correct postage
Shipping a package to Australia?
If you need to send a parcel to Australia from the US, Parcel Monkey can help you find a courier service that will ship your package to Australia at an affordable price.
To get a shipping quote, just enter the weight, dimensions and destination of your parcel into the Parcel Monkey shipping calculator to receive a list of discounted prices from reputable carriers, such as USPS, UPS and DHL. Select the service that’s best for you, print out your shipping label and you’re good to go!