Cheapest Way to Ship Clothes
Try our shipping calculator
Clothes are one of the most popular items sold online and therefore we see large amounts of clothing being shipped via courier.
Whether you’re an online retailer shipping clothes to a customer or you’re mailing clothes to a friend or relative, our shipping calculator will help you compare shipping companies and services, so you can decide which is most suitable based on how much you want to spend and how urgent your package is.
How to ship clothes
The best way to ship clothes is in a box, as this offers a better level of protection than a plastic bag or jiffy bag which could get torn during transit. Put your clothing in a bag or jiffy bag first, then put it inside the box, this is particularly important if your garment is a delicate fabric or has embellishments like sequins, beads or decorative buttons. If you are shipping a wedding dress, please read our separate guide on how to ship a wedding dress.
If you are using a second-hand box, make sure all the labels are removed, so as not to cause any confusion for the courier and make sure you reinforce corners and joins with parcel tape. You can find more packing advice by reading our packaging guide.
Find the cheapest way to mail clothes
Finding the cheapest way to mail clothes in the US and internationally is quick and easy using the Parcel Monkey shipping calculator. You’ll be able to compare prices from reputable shipping companies like USPS, DHL and UPS and book discounted services all in one place.
Once you’ve packaged your item, you’ll need to weigh and measure it. Carrier charges differ based on the volumetric weight of your box or packet, so it’s important that you provide the accurate weight and dimensions of your package when you get a quote.
Once you have the weight and dimensions, simply enter the details into our simple shipping calculator and you’ll get an instant quote.
How much does it cost to ship a box of clothes?
The cost of shipping a box of clothes will depend on the size and weight of the box and where it’s going, but we regularly help customers save money shipping large and heavy boxes of clothing all over the world.
Whether you’re a charity sending a donation overseas or an individual moving to another state, our cheap shipping services for large boxes will reduce your shipping costs significantly.
Cheapest way to ship clothes internationally
There are many options for shipping clothes overseas, but if you’re looking for the cheapest way to ship clothes internationally, here are just a couple of services you can book via our shipping calculator.
Shipping clothes – economy services
- Light Packet – This service is ideal for single and small items up to 4lbs. Delivery times vary by destination but are generally 10-16 business days. Includes tracking.
- International Drop Off – Send boxes up to 99lbs, fully tracked. This service ships to most major destinations in 2-5 business days. Also available as a collected service.
- EU Parcel – Only available to Europe. Ship packages up to 65lbs. Includes tracking and can be booked as a courier collection from your home or work address.
For more economy, international shipping solutions, see our ePacket and tracked mail services.
Shipping clothes – expedited services
- International Priority – Ship boxes up to 99lbs. Fully tracked delivery to most major international destinations in 1-3 business days. Available as a drop-off or collected service.
- DHL Express International – Send boxes up to 154lbs almost anywhere in the world in 1-6 business days. Fully tracked, collection only.
Customs regulations for shipping clothes and shoes
If you’re shipping clothes internationally, it is likely that you will need to provide a customs declaration detailing a description and value for the items you’re sending.
When you ship with Parcel Monkey, we will guide you through this as part of the booking process, however, it is the shipper's responsibility to declare the contents of the box correctly and to check that the goods being sent are not prohibited from import to that country. This is particularly important if the clothing is used (not new).
Countries where we are aware of import restrictions on clothing include but are not restricted to:
- Antigua – prohibit the import of camouflage clothing
- New Zealand and Australia - restrictions on used outdoor clothing
- India - used clothing
- Mexico - restrictions on shoes, used clothing and clothing/goods from China
- Canada - restrictions on use. Clothing should not be intended for sale
Customs documents should be attached securely on the outside of the box in a clear plastic wallet or envelope marked 'Customs'. For more information read our customs advice for shipping internationally.
Suitcases are not suitable to travel through a courier network, as the handles and wheels can cause issues and overfilled cases can split and be damaged in transit. Shipping labels and customs documents also do not stick well to suitcases. If the label comes off the suitcase can easily be lost.
For these reasons and due to additional charges raised by couriers - we have placed suitcases on our prohibited items list for UPS and DPD services. They can only be sent if they are inside a box.
If you do use a suitcase to ship clothes, it will be shipped on a no-compensation basis as this is deemed unsuitable packaging and therefore Parcel Monkey or our courier partner will not be liable for loss or damage.
Why use Parcel Monkey?
Compare, book and send parcels using discounted parcel delivery services. Save time & money with Parcel Monkey.
- We’ll help you to find the right courier service
- We’ll help you save time & money
- We compare prices for shipping to over 240 destinations
- We compare prices for pickup & drop-off services
- We've got over 4,300 independent reviews
Try our shipping calculator: